Starting Your Business
- Choose form of ownership/business structure
- Select your business name and secure your website domain
- Register or incorporate your business depending on your structure
- Conduct market research – define your market, identify suppliers and competitors and clearly outline your unique selling proposition
- Obtain information on Occupational Health & Safety, Employment Standards, WSIB and payroll
- Check on zoning and any special licenses or permits with the Town of Collingwood
- Calculate start-up costs and develop your business plan
- Explore financing and mentorship opportunities with the Centre for Business and Economic Development
For additional information and for help on getting started, visit the South Georgian Bay Small Business Enterprise Centre
Connect with Your Community
- Explore membership and networking with the Collingwood Chamber of Commerce and other networking groups in the area
- Talk to the Building Services at the Town about signs for your business and to make sure you have all of the necessary permits and approvals if you are planning on renovations to your location
- Reach out to the Fire Department to schedule and inspection if needed. They want to help you set up your business correctly too!
- Establish your team of advisors – lawyer, accountant or bookeeper, web designer, bank advisor, and insurance advisor
- Investigate mentorship through….
- Attend business or other events in the Community to learn, network, and connect with the community
Stop by the Business Development Centre and let us know about your business. We can connect you to resources and organizations within the community.
Launch Your Business
- Choose a launch date
- Invite friends and guests
- Spread the word about your new venture – promote to your customers, the press and the community
- Plan a launch event. Consider including special promotions or giveaways for your grand opening
- Make sure that your business is listed on any local directories
Let the Business Development Centre know when you launch your business venture and keep us informed about your successes along the way!